Friends of the Library
What We Do
The Friends of the Hudson Area Library is an organization of dedicated volunteers that exists to strengthen the Hudson Area Library through:
- Financial support
We provide significant and consistent financial support to the Library through our bookstore, online and semi-annual book sales. The Friends is involved in many advocacy projects throughout the Hudson community. We are also a social organization that fosters a connection to the Library with the aim of providing engaging volunteer opportunities to our members in support of the Library and our community.
Browse our website, become a member, and find or create a volunteer opportunity that fits your interests. The Friends is a fun and flexible group of community members that shares your interest in books, supporting the Library and connecting with our community.
If you have any questions, would like to share ideas, or need assistance, please contact us at hudsonlibraryFRIENDS@gmail.com
Support the Friends
Donate Gently Used Items
Thank you for considering the Friends of the Hudson Library for your book donations. Your donations of gently used books, audiobooks, and DVDs are gratefully accepted and may be dropped off at the circulation desk. Receipts for your donations are available.
Most donated books are sold in the bookstore or at book sales. Some are used to expand the Library’s lending collection or to replace worn books. Those of local interest may be placed in the Nancy L. Hawkinson History Room on the second floor of the library. Higher value books are listed for sale online at abebooks.com.
We always try to direct books to those in need within and beyond our community. If you know of a charitable organization or group that needs books, please let us know
Book Donation Guidelines:
We can accept material that has been inspected by the owner, is in ‘like-new’ resalable condition, and is delivered in clean boxes/bags/totes. Materials must be donated in person at the circulation desk during library hours. Please do not leave donated material in the library book drop box or outside of the library.
Items we ACCEPT include:
- Hardcover and paperback books
- Commercially published DVD’s and Audiobooks
- Business, health/fitness, self-help, political and travel books must be 5 years old or newer
Items we DO NOT ACCEPT include:
- VHS, CDs, or cassette tapes
- Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Reader’s Digest Condensed Books, and Bibles, textbooks, atlases, and professional journals, magazines
There are many opportunities to volunteer and support the Library, the Friends, and the Hudson community!
Some ways to get involved:
- Bookstore: Help with sorting, pricing, and shelving of donated books
- Book Sales: Help with set-up, take-down, sales, and publicity
- Board Member: Assist with planning, promotion, and staging of
- Friends activities
- Hudson Area Backpack and Food Program: Help put together monthly flyer and library schedule
- Online Sales: Look up values of donated books, and enter higher value books online
- National Night Out: Assist with spreading the word about the Friends and the Library
Don’t worry about your schedule or experience level. We can always find a way for you to help that works for you! The Friends will provide a mentor to show you the ropes and help you decide how you can best share your talents!
To find out more about how you can get involved, or if you have any questions, please contact us at: hudsonlibraryFRIENDS@gmail.com
Community Outreach activities are another major focal point of the Friends. Join us as we work to increase awareness of the library’s programs and serve the literacy needs of the community.
- Support the Hudson Area Backpack and Food Program (www.hudsonbackpack.com) by providing the current calendar of library activities and a Book Buck coupon for the Friends Book Store.
- Donate books to the Hudson Area Backpack and Food Program for summer giveaways and special events.
- Sponsor the Friends annual Bookmark Contest for fourth graders in the Hudson School District.
To find out more about how you can get involved, or if you have questions or ideas, please contact us at hudsonlibraryFRIENDS@gmail.com.
Visit Our Bookstore
The Friends of the Library Bookstore is maintained entirely by dedicated volunteers and is always open during library hours.
- located upstairs in room 215
- prices range from $0.50-$2
- books of all genres
- DVDs and audiobooks
- vintage and specialty books
Free books are located on the metal shelves against the wall outside the store.
Subscribe to our Facebook page at ‘FriendsoftheHudsonAreaLibrary’ to see announcements for volunteer opportunities, in-store sales, and our semi-annual book sales.
No time to browse? Look at our QUICK PICKS shelf for recommended reading. Books may have a brief review tucked inside on a bookmark. Feel free to review any of your favorites you find in the store and add them to the shelf.
Meet the Friends
Members at Large