Summer Reading Starts June 5th!
Our summer reading program is in full swing starting June 5 and is open to kids, families, and adults of all ages. Click on the categories below to learn more about the program and get ready to enjoy a summer full of reading fun! Online registration for the reading program begins June 4th.
Reading Program Details and Requirements
Summer Reading Program Requirements for Preschoolers:
Families can pick up an activity sheet at the Children’s desk. (They will also be handed out at Story time.) Children are required to read a book every day and keep a tally of the number of books read, completing any 15 activities suggested on the sheet. When they’ve completed 15 activities they can bring in their sheet for a prize. They will then be given another sheet with new activities to try.
Other Summer Reading Program Events
- June 20th at 10:30 – 11:30 am we will have a Pete the Cat party in lieu of story time. We will have Pete the Cat-themed activities planned. No registration required.
- July 18th at 10:30 – 11:30 am. Instead of story time, Willow River Nature Center will present a native WI animal program. No registration required.
Story Time runs Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday mornings throughout the Sumer Reading Program dates, June 5th – August 4th.
Preschoolers will also be invited to participate in the family programs for all ages.
- Grade School
Overview of Wandoo Activities for Elementary Kids
- Children can log their reading minutes in the program. For every 200 minutes they read, they will earn a prize. They will have to come to the library to receive the prize.
- There is a weekly passive program called Library Star challenge to encourage kids to come to the library. Each time they come in and complete one of these challenges, they are entered into a drawing for a prize at the end of summer. No registration required, just stop in and participate.
Visit wandooreader.com/hudsonpubliclibrary/2018-elementary-summer-reading-program to easily sign up to participate and learn more about the summer program.
Elementary kids will also be encouraged through Wandoo to attend the programs for all ages.
All book clubs require participants to register at the Children’s desk. Copies of the books will be available for the kids to check out. These book clubs also run into August, after SRP is officially over.
- Book Club for Boys: July 25th at 1 – 2 pm. We will discuss “Jack and the Geniuses at the Bottom of the World,” by Bill Nye. We will have some activities related to the book after discussion.
- Book Club for Boys: August 22nd at 1 – 2 pm. We will discuss “The Wild Robot Escapes.”
- Grandparent/Grandchild Book Club: June 21st at 10:30 – 11:30 am. Junie B. Jones series will be discussed. No pre-reading required for this club.
- Grandparent/Grandchild Book Club: July 12th at 1:00 -2:00 pm. Gary Paulsen’s “Hatchet, ” will be discussed.
- Grandparent/Grandchild Book Club: August 29th at 1:00 – 2:00 pm. “The 14th Goldfish,” by Jennifer Holm will be discussed.
Other Programs During Summer
Willow River Elementary Teacher Read
Teachers from Willow River Elementary will be in to read to kids on various Wednesdays at 1 – 2 pm on the following dates: 6/13, 6/20, 6/27, 7/11, 7/18, and 7/25. No registration required.
Coding programs. Registration required for all.
- Wednesday, June 20th from 1 – 2:30 pm. A no-tech coding program for beginners using Legos.
- Wednesday, July 18th from 1 – 3 pm. Code your own space adventure using SCRATCH.
- Wednesday, August 15 at 1 – 3 pm. Star Wars coding using SCRATCH.
- Teens and Tweens
Teens and Tweens going into grades 6-12 log minutes read and complete challenges. Drawing entries are earned for every 600 minutes read as well as challenge completions. There will be weekly drawings and grand prize drawings at the end of the program.
Register online at http://wandooreader.com/hudsonpubliclibrary/2018-teen-tween-summer-reading
- Adult Program (ages 18+)
Log minutes read and participate in challenges to earn entries for prizes. Every 300 minutes read earns an entry. Watch for fun challenges to earn additional entries. Prizes will be drawn at the end of the program.
Register online at: wandooreader.com/hudsonpubliclibrary/2018-adult-summer-reading
- Family Programs for All Ages
Activities for families and all ages to enjoy
- Tuesdays at 1 pm performers. We will have a variety of different performers every Tuesday 1 – 2 pm (excluding July 3rd) during the SRP. No registration required.
- *tentative date * Saturday, June 9th at 10:30 am- 12:30 pm. We will have a Hudson Fire Department fire truck parked in the lot for kids to see and explore. No registration required.
- Saturday, July 21st at 10:30 – 11:30 am. Echo the Mermaid will be here to read books and teach children about the St. Croix river. No registration required.
- July 25th at 10:30 – 11:30 am. Astronaut Chris Mick will be here to teach children about the Apollo mission to the moon. No registration required.